Our science program is based upon questioning, hands-on experiences and experimentation, and project-based learning. The goal of our curriculum is to give students an authentic understanding of concepts, skills, and strategies that can be applied to the real world and infuse everyday life with meaning. Teachers emphasize collaborative problem-solving and active investigation. Children extend their understanding through numerous field trips and interactions with guest speakers.
Similarly, every grade level includes units of study that incorporate physical, life, and earth science components. An important part of our curriculum is a commitment to environmental stewardship, associated with the Jewish concepts of shomrei adamah (guardians of the earth) and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
Science units by grade:
- Kindergarten: Animals 2X2; Trees; Weather
- First grade: Air and Weather; Pebbles, Sand and Silt
- Second grade: Balance and Motion; Plants and Insects
- Third grade: Magnetism and Electricity; Rocks and Landforms
- Fourth grade: Mixtures and Solutions; Environments
- Fifth grade: Living systems; Energy