The Jewish Community Day School of Rhode Island, formerly the Alperin Schechter Day School, was founded in 1978 as a Conservative day school. In 2006, the school became multi-denominational to meet the needs of our changing community.
- Student Enrollment: 76
- Grades: Pre K – 5
- Average class size: 11 students
Faculty and Staff:
- Teachers & Administrators – 29
- Faculty with a Masters degree or higher – 58%
Bus transportation is provided from selected areas at no cost through the RI Department of Education.
We have a learning specialist on staff who holds a masters in elementary education as well as special education. We offer learning support in math and reading in small groups or one-on-one.
After-Care/After School Clubs:
Our after-school clubs change each season. Some clubs we hold and have held in the past are: Library Teatime Book Club; Sports Club; Tennis, Adventure Club; Jewelry Making; Kids Yoga; Video Club; Kids Fit, Creative Dance and Girls on the Run. In addition, JCDSRI partners with the Jewish Alliance to offer after-care for our students from Pre-K through 5th grade. After-care takes place at the Dwares JCC until 6:00pm. Students who are signed up for after-care are dismissed to a JCC counselor and escorted to the JCC for after school J-Space and programs. In addition, the JCC provides childcare programs for our K – 5 students on days when JCDSRI is closed. Click here for more information.
- Families in which both parents are Jewish: 70%
- Families with one Jewish Parent: 30%
- AISNE (Association of Independent Schools of New England)
- ISARI (Independent School Association of RI)
- Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island
- JFS: Jewish Family Service of Rhode Island
- Prizmah: Center for Jewish Day Schools